Saturday, March 28, 2009

A new career

Well, it has been awhile since we announced we were going to quit driving. I took a job teaching Motorcycle and traffic safety and was assigned to Fallon Naval Air Station in Fallon Nev. I left Kim in Salt Lake to finish getting our house ready to sell, and started out in our motorhome headed to Fallon. About 20 mi into Nevada, Big Mo (our motorhome) decided it had enough. The engine shut down while pulling a hill. To make a long story kinda short, we had it towed to Elko, Nev where there was a Detroit Diesel rep. I unloaded Kims Goldwing, packed it with the clothes I could get in it, and went on to Fallon and found a hotel. The engine had froze up, and basically needed an in frame rebuild with new sleeves, pistons, rings, etc...OUCH $$$. Nearly 4 weeeks later, it was ready, and Kim was ready. I met her at the motorhome, and we headed to Fallon to start our new life there.
Well, things are not stable for very long with us, and I received a call from one of my bosses asking if I would consider a move to Twentynine Palm, Ca Marine Corps base. There was 2 of us at Fallon, and not really enough to keep both of us busy. 29 Palms did not have a Cape Fox instructor, and I would be kept busy!
So, after a day or two to get ourselves ready, we loaded up the bikes, and headed to 29 Palms!
We found a nice park to stay in about 5 mi from work. The biggest problem we had there was Kim not being able to find a job. She did get a job in the park cleaning the bathrooms 5 days a week, which paid our lot rent. This was working ok, but with our salary basically cut in half, we really needed her to work, at least until our house sold in Salt Lake.
The nice thing about Twentynine Palms, was that we were about 3 hrs to Dad's place in Yuma. My mom's sister is also there, and her cousins. We went over for Thanksgiving, and Dad made a visit to our place. In December, I was asked to work on a motorcycle simulator program and write the curriculum for the training. I was told not to go in and teach courses, but to concentrate on the simulator program. It was set up so I could stay in the Yuma area near my Dad and work from home. So in December, once again, we packed up, and headed out.
After being in place in Yuma for awhile, it was determined that I could stay and be assigned there. Sooooooo,,,here we are.
I have been tabbed to be the simulator instructor for Cape Fox. I have made several trips to Miramar Marine Corps Base near San Diego to train others, and assist during an open house for the first Marine Corps Motorcycle Simulator program. It was kinda interesting, because we had alot of brass, from a 4 star General, 3 star Genener, a couple of 2 star, and I am not sure how many 1 stars. Full bird colonels were a dime a dozen at that gala!
I had the honor of teaching the 2 Star who is the 3rd Marine AirWing Commander, and the 4 Star, who is the Asst Commandant of the Marines from the Pentagon how to ride the simulator.
Next week, I am headed to Camp Pendleton (just south of Los Angeles) to set up a new simulator, and teach the trainers to use it.
Kim has got a job here with in home health care. She has an elderly gentleman (Sam) to assist on Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings, and a 14 yo girl (Abby) everyday after school. This past week, she was also asked to start helping Abby in the mornings before school. Abby has a deformity with the legs, and is wheelchair bound. Kim gets her ready for school in the mornings, and helps and entertains her in the afternoon, before putting her in her bed for the evening when she leaves.
I don't know how she does it, she has had some rough days when Sam or Abbey is not doing well.
While we have been here, our son Greg got married to his fiance' in February and they are expecting our 2nd grandchild in May. It will be a little girl, they have decided to name Bailey. So we are excitedly awaiting the arrival of Bailey.
Geoff and his girlfriend have a little girl also, named Briauna, who was our first grandchild. Kim made the trip to Salt Lake to go to Greg and Lisa's wedding, and also had a chance to visit with Briauna. Unfortunately, I had a trip scheduled to Georgia at that time, and could not be there. It was kind of a short notice wedding. They entered a radio contest, and was one of the winners, so they had an all expenses paid wedding on Friday the 13th, at 1113am, on 13th street in Salt Lake City.

Since I hooked up this blog with our Facebook page, I decided I could update it and keep our story going for our family. So, from time to time, I will try to describe what has been taking place in this adventure we call Steve and Kim's Life. :)

No comments: