Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day of Driving






Kim started out the day with a drive thru town. This was down one of the main routes south thru town, then across to another and back north on another main road. This was to work on shifting, space management, railroad crossings, scanning, communicating intent, etc. You make alot of "friends" with these big rigs in the city! :)


After a break, she went out to the area we practiced just shifting the day before to work on downshifting a little more.


After lunch, I joined up, and we both had a backing session. Started with straight line backing. I got that down pretty quick. I have had some experience backing trailers, etc. so not too difficult for me. Then he had me start offset, basically backing up and straightening out in the next lane. After break, Dan brought out the cones, and set me up for parallel parking! After walking beside me and talking me thru it couple of times, I started getting it. I parallel parked one these things!


Kim has not really had any experience backing, so she practiced the straightline for the session. By the end of the day, she started getting it down pretty good. She's a real trooper, and doing well!


A quick dinner break and Dan and I took the drive Kim did in the morning. Boy, nothing like big city driving in 5 o'clock traffic. Dan worked me over during this night drive. We went into another industrial area, and a failrly tight parking lot at one time. Kinda hard to judge when you can't really see where the trailer tires are tracking.


Next session is backing again. Oh boy!

No comments: