Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

Where did I leave off? oh yea, New Jersey. Uck! What a story. Traffic wasn't too bad, but there is something to be said with preplanning. We have been using our GPS to get us to our destinations. It is a Garmin GPS and does have a trucker profile. So far, it has been pretty good getting us around.
Well,,,now the fun begins. We are coming into Newar about 11pm. The GPS says exit at one exit, the computer with Copilot (another mapping program and GPS) says exit one earlier. HMMMM,,,which one is right? Steve takes the first one. As soon as I hit the ramp, UH OH! There a big sign at the bottom the ramp with an arrow pointing to the riht (the direction I need to go), with some numbers that don't look so good. 11ft clearance! (by the way, for all the none trucker people, big trucks require 13'6"). After I get stopped, and figure out I am not backing up all the way to the Highway, I do manage to back up enough to make a left turn, and hope it works out. Now my stomach is going, making it worse. That Subway sandwich I had earlier is not setting well, and there is not much time left. Thank god the street is wide, and there some area to pull over on the side. I immediately head for the sleeper and the porta potty while Kim watches over us and tries to figure out where we are going. I start discussing it with her,,,,or trying to, its mostly a one way discussion. She starts yelling, "get off the pot and get up here, there are people around, guys starting to walk this direction,,,,I am locking the doors,,I don't like this neighborhood,,I am putting down the computer,,,nope,,nothing in here worth looking at,,,,STEEEVEE!!!"
Finally done with my business, and back at the helm, I start heading where Lola directs us. We wonder thru downtown Newark, and finally head out toward the airport area. WHEW,,,now we are getting somewhere. The streets here bend around, and around, and around,,,I kept thinking I saw the back of my trailer. FINALLY, made it to Conway New Jersey with about 30 min to spare. Too close!
After that fiasco, we find an empty, and eventually make our way outta hell,,I mean Newark, and head up to Syracuse, NY for our next load in the morning.
This would have to be a top secret load to Wisc or we would have half of Wisc and relative mauling us when we got in the area. (shhhhh,,,its a load of BEER,,41,000lbs of beer!)
We made our beer delivery to Superior Wisc on Monday morning. A nice two days to get there, so it was a nice trip. After we headed to Ironwood, Mi, and Kim's mom and step dad.
Only problem here is its ALL white. There are drifts and piles about as deep as the truck. I think next year, Christmas should be in the Bahamas or somewhere WARM.
We got here Monday afternoon, and will stay until Sat morning. I think I have some work to do here to earn our keep here. Marsha is a Chiropractor here and just bought house to move into and set up a new office. They have moved the living part, but the office is next.
Kim and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a wonderful holiday season. We hope you get to do whatever it is you enjoy and be with those that mean the most to you.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
Steve and Kim, AKA Roadie and Wingz.

No comments: